Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Andrée 2

Rec.:Stockholm Symphony Orchestra

    This is gonna be a short (and late!) entry cause I gotta get ready for an interview this afternoon. I want to check out more from Elfrida Andrée after listening to this symphony. In particular, she wrote a couple organ symphonies which sound like they might be interesting. Andrée was a Swedish composer, organist, and activist. Part of the reason why I want to check out the organ symphonies is apparently she was Scandinavia's first officially appointed female organist.

    Anyways, the symphony itself... I liked it. Didn't love it, but I might relisten to it when I have a chance to focus on it more. What is interesting about it to me is that it sounds early Romantic even though I can assume it was written around 1870 or later based on the other dates of her compositions I have available. Which serves as a good reminder that when we look back at music throughout history, we can sometimes think that there is a constant evolution of style and complexity going on, but looking at the music of lesser known composers it becomes more clear that the "top tier" composers were often on the cutting edge and there was music i more established styles still being written.

    This work though, the themes are solid, the orchestration interesting, the forms clear. Solid work, but nothing really grabbed me and forced me to stop what I was doing while listening (cooking dinner), which most of my favorite symphonies have. Anyways, may revisit this one later.

Later today: Florence Price Symphony in E minor.

No comments:

Post a Comment