Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Haydn 1

Recording: Camerata Academica Salzburg - Hans Reinartz


    Well going to do this kind of different today as I have a lot to do (I have a meet and greet with a bunch of potential employers tonight). So instead of writing my thoughts down then writing the blog you'll be getting just whatever pops in to my head while listening to it live in the blog. I was originally gonna do a quick analysis to go along with this one (score is only like 12 pages) as analyzing classical era music is kind of relaxing, but the print quality was so poor on the imslp score that it would have taken me more time to figure out the notes than analyze them.

    And.... here we go! Not a bad opening actually. Kicks right in to the main theme without an introduction. Sonata form as to be expected. While primarily violin dominated it does sound like there are some good inner string and wind counterlines going on. Very effective use of sudden dynamic contrasts, even some nice building crescendos in spots. Which sounds like a dumb thing to compliment, but not something I always see in early classical music, which I'm gonna go ahead and ignorantly classify this as since it is a 3 movement symphony. I also dig the use of pedal points throughout the first movement.

    Double checked the score cause I was kind of interested in the meter, and it is a slow 2/4, also appears to be a binary form. No winds in this movement at all. I like the extensive use of 16th note triplet pick ups in this movement and the little and the contrasting dotted rhythms in the B section. Sounds like the violas might be getting a little love in the B section as well. Nope, just the second violins, that is what I get for trying to listen to something with laundry being about six feet away. A poor decision on my part

    And now for the finale... Dancy 3 feel. Haydn really had a knack for melodies, even this early in his symphonies. Speaking of which I realize there might be two before this, symphony A and B, but I had a hard enough time finding this symphony on Spotify. Oh wait... it's over already? Oh, it is only like 2:15. Well, it was a good two minutes (Insert your own joke here).

    Sorry for the odd format but this may happen again on days where I have limited time. Overall, nothing groundbreaking, which I wouldn't expect, but a perfectly cromulent early classical symphony.

Tomorrow: Einojuhani Rautavaara Symphony #1

No comments:

Post a Comment