Monday, March 9, 2015

Foerster 4 - "Easter Eve"

Recording: Prague Symphony Orchestra


    So this is something I should have done in about a month if I had an ounce of forethought in me, but I picked it now, so let's get talking. Josef Foerster is one of the many composers that straddled the period between the late Romantic and early to mid-20th century that seems to have been largely forgotten (One of my favorites being Paul Juon, who I will be stoked if I can actually find a place to buy the recording of his Symphony in A). That time in particular seems to unkind many great composers who didn't adapt to a more modern style, and Foerster seems to have been caught in that.


    But on to the symphony itself. It strikes me by the opening and closing movements that Easter must be a much more solemn event in other parts of the world. The music is somber and ceremonial for much of the first movement. I particularly like the writing for the low brass in the opening movement, as it has some nice background melodies on display. There is also a charming, light-hearted woodwind section towards the end of the movement. The build to the end made me realize this recording kind of muffles on the louder dynamics and as later movements would confirm I should've found a better recording. Even my headphones didn't save it.

    The second movement made me wonder about the programmatic element of the piece; whether it was a depiction of the events of Easter, or a depiction of the celebration of those events. This thought occurred to me while listening to this movement because many of this light-hearted scherzo's themes sound like folk melodies, although Wikipedia says that Foerster was not a setter of folk melodies. Maybe he just has a knack for melody in that vein. I'd be curious to see the score as well, since I think I may have heard a Euphonium solo sneak in somewhere! Also, some interesting low oboe and horn doublings toward the end of the movement, which has a very sly ending.

    This movement strikes me as the most big "R" Romantic. Whereas the first movement was more ritualistic and the chromatic lines were tucked away, this movement is more emotional and the chromaticism is front and center. I can even hear twinges of Bruckner in spots (which realistically means I hear Wagner I suppose). I really enjoyed the orchestration here with a little bass clarinet solo(!) and some gorgeous low brass choir sections at the end. This may be one of my new favorite slow movements, which may owe somewhat to the fact that, unusual for a Romantic, the slow movement is the shortest. The movement doesn't overstay its welcome, as many slow movements in the late Romantic tend to do for me.

    The final movement starts with a Lento Lugubre marking, and has a surprising amount of forward momentum for that tempo. I found myself checking the pulse to make sure it was actually that slow at times. The opening is quite heartfelt, before suddenly transitioning to the allegro, which is more in line with the serious tone of the first movement. In this movement it struck me that this is the kind of piece that will certainly reward repeat listenings, as there are a lot of subtle things going on. And some unsubtle things... like a freaking organ?! Seriously, I kind of didn't want to say anything (is there such a thing as spoiler warning for a 110 year old symphony?) because it took me by complete surprise. Like, was it in the background the whole time and I just somehow missed it, or did it patiently just wait to blind side the listener in the finale. Now this piece is in my list of pieces I'd like to see live, because recordings just don't capture the grandeur of organ.

Short version: a must listen to.

Tomorrow: Karel Ancerl Symphony No.2 in C#


No comments:

Post a Comment