Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thomas Ades - Chamber Symphony, Op. 2

Rec.:London Philharmonic Orchestra


    So I was curious as to the context of this piece so I looked up the program notes. Oh by the way, was still in a chamber symphony mood, and wanted to do something more contemporary, so this is it. So anyways, as I was reading this description while listening to the symphony I started frantically searching to see if he had done another Chamber Symphony because the notes didn't seem to match up to what I was listening to at all except for one super important thing: Basset Horn and Bass Clarinet featured prominently. Which is a pretty big coincidence. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is I think I might be an idiot after reading the program notes, because I didn't hear nearly any of what he said was in there.

    Some for instances, where as I am hearing a primarily timbral exploration throughout this four movement, but continuous symphony, he describes the first movement as having an introduction followed by a sonata form with two clear theme groups in the matter of Schubert. What I hear is the kind of dark timbral pseudo jazz, full of little half formed gestures that one might expect in something like a Lynch film. I mean, with the hi-hat, harmon muted brass, and lines that sound like they could be from an Eric Dolphy solo, the inspiration seems pretty clear. Also there is apparently an obvious and strict tango rhythm in the first two movements that I can kind of hear if I strain for it. I think these gestures that are described as obvious in the notes may only seem that way if one is already been introduced to their use prior to listening.

    The final three movements are described as a queasy, but steady development of the tango ideas, a movement that builds momentum and collects flotsam(really...?) from the first movement, and then an overview of the music that ties up loose ends. Aside from the somewhat pretentious description, I just can't hear a lot of the formal elements. The themes are just not clearly defined enough for me, and while timbrally amazing, I'm not sure I want to take the time it would take to uncover the obfuscating layers to hear the formal elements. I mean I'm kind of cool with themeless music (although I am a sucker for a good tune), but that isn't what this is supposed to be. So I guess overall, I would give it a listen once for the orchestrational merits(which again are great), but personally, I just couldn't really get in to it.

Tomorrow:Something contemporary that I like so I don't seem against modern music

No comments:

Post a Comment