Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Dietrich Symphony in D minor

Rec.:Oldenberg State Orchestra

    So I'm a few days behind on my entries so let's make things brief while I catch up, eh? A couple days ago I listened to Albert Dietrich's Symphony in D. Dietrich was a friend and collaborator of Brahms, so it should come as no surprise this symphony is in a more conservative late Romantic style. The symphony is even dedicated to Brahms, although it does precede Brahms' symphonies.

    The symphony does kind of sound like a Brahms symphony too, although a little less subtle, a few more rough edges, everything is a little clearer. I like it. Don't love it, but that is fine. It feels odd that the movements are so even in duration, usually there is at least one movement that is significantly different in duration. Although I do like the extra time taken to develop the Scherzo, especially considering how much I enjoyed the second theme in that movement. I feel like the first three movements were pretty solid, but the fourth movement left me a little cold for some reason. I'll have to relisten to it sometime and see what I'm missing because I can't place what I dislike about it.

    Anyways, back later today with Adolphus Hailstork #3.

No comments:

Post a Comment