Thursday, March 12, 2015

Kalivoda 6

Recording: Pilsen Radio Symphony Orchestra


    Writing this a bit late tonight cause I went to a JavaScript meetup so this one is gonna be extra short: You gotta listen to this symphony. The only reason I can think of why this symphony isn't in the standard repertoire is that it isn't more well know. The orchestration is great, the themes are memorable and developed well, the contrapuntal writing is fantastic, and so forth. If I had listened to this many, many years ago before I had listened to all the Beethoven symphonies you probably could have fooled me in to thinking it was one of his. Which is probably the oddest thing about it to me is that sounds more Germanic than the other works I've listened to this week. Potentially with the exception of the Vranicky. Amazing all around. Might try and get a score to this and revisit it sometime.

Tomorrow: Martinu No. Something

No comments:

Post a Comment