Tuesday, April 14, 2015

CEF Weyse 7

    Well Christoph Ernst Friedrich Weyse is one of the earliest Danish composers I found and this symphony was the first track on the album of his key masterpieces, so sure. Overall, I found the symphony to be a little too imitative of Mozart and Haydn, and not their best works either. The piece overall is mostly solid, although the second movement drags on too long for my taste. The finale is probably the most solid of the movements, as the main theme of the rondo is the strongest in the symphony.

     Wish I had more to say, but it is kind of exactly what you'd expect from a Classical symphony, and the themes generally aren't strong enough to carry it without something else adventurous. Another piece of fine background music I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment