Saturday, April 18, 2015

Holmboe - Chamber Symphony No. 1

   This work is one of the finer examples of mid-20th century writing that I can think of. Often this era leaves me a little cold, but this piece has an energy and consistency of language that kept me engaged throughout.

    Apparently built on a system of motivic and thematic metamorphosis derived from Sibelius, the internal logic of the piece is airtight. I never felt lost while listening to the piece, instead I was carried away by the at times tense and other times nervous energy. I also liked that Vagn Holmboe didn't feel the need to use complex harmony all the time and allows the harmonic language to simplify when it serves the piece. The piece also comes to a satisfying conclusion in the finale, which feels like it wraps up the themes of the previous movements.

    Another winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment