Sunday, April 19, 2015

Kayser 1

    I'd have to double check, but I think this might be the first one movement symphony I've done. Although I think that might be an artifact of the track listing because the piece separates itself in to 3 pretty convenient movements. So Leif Kayser seems like he might have an interesting backstory as apparently he gave up composing after having some early success to become a priest and later went back to composing.

    Looking back on my notes (the real problem with me letting these entries pile up), the only consistently positive thing I have listed in each section is the orchestration, which serves the ends of each section well, alternating between boisterous and adventurous to more pared down and austere. In particular on the latter point, the second movement is carefully crafted in its use of counterpoint between solo instruments. Other than that, I really liked the rhythmic language and dramatic structure of the piece. Melodically, not the strongest I've listened to though.

EDITS: Wow having to edit it this quickly to update my thoughts... I realized my notes weren't great and that I was a bit foggy on this so I relistened to some bits of it, and think I may have undersold it. My notes didn't remind me well enough just how interesting the orchestration is, and I think the recording I listened to initially may have not been the best because Aarhus Symphony Orchestra recording is pretty damn engaging. Also, it totally is in 3 movements and the first recording I had just lazily didn't put track breaks in. If I weren't already behind I just would've rewritten this all but oh well. I'll keep this here as a reminder of what a crappy notetaker I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment