Friday, April 3, 2015

Wanhal - Sinfonie in G minor

Rec.:Camerata Zürich

    Hmm... I'm gonna have to stretch to find something meaningful to say about this one. That is not an indication of quality, but that it fits the mold of a Classical symphony almost too well, and there aren't any rough edges or unusual features to really point out. Each movement is about what you'd expect out of a run of the mill Classical symphony. It is firmly what I'd consider background music, but I may want to check Johann Baptist Wanhal more because it seems like he was a pretty major figure at the time, and especially in Czech Classical music (really? I really need to stop gravitating to Czech composers so often).

    Anyways though, I'm gonna skip the movement by movement yet again, because the symphony just kind of vanished from my head when I was done. I mean, the themes were good, the scoring and orchestration were good, everything was good, but there was no real drama to the piece. It didn't seem to tell a story to me (no, I don't mean that in the programmatic sense), the movements just kind of start and then stop after fulfilling the requirements of that movement. But again, if you are looking for good study music, it might be ok? I find that the kind of middle of the road Classical music is best for that because you aren't constantly distracted by inspired moments in the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment