Monday, April 13, 2015

JPE Hartmann 1

    Well I've decided on doing Danish composers this week, because why not. Themes help me pick out symphonies and I have a hankerin' to listen to some Nielsen later this week so let's go! We're gonna get started with a couple early figures in Danish music with this and the next entry. I think I'm going to listen Johann Peter Emilius Hartmann's second symphony later this week as well, because the first was written in 1836 and the second in 1880, so it'll be interesting to see how his music might evolve between the two. As it stands this symphony seems kind of reminiscent of Mendelssohn to me, but not to the point where it sounds like mere imitation.

    The themes throughout the symphony are clear and approachable and the main driver of the symphony and they also potentially have a light folk influence to them, especially in the last movement. The orchestration is very solid throughout, and I in particular like his willingness to really pare down the forces and allow solos to carry important parts. The first movement opens with a solo clarinet and uses it again to signal the ending. These little intimate moments break up what can sometimes feel a little longwinded in the outer movements. 

    I feel the inner movements are stronger here, although I do like the upbeat finale theme. I found it odd at first that the third movement was a Minuet instead of a Scherzo, but it fits the lighter tone of the symphony well. The second movement has some nice chordal progressions and has an interesting climax. I was really hoping for a clarinet solo in the last movement though because the first three all have important exposed clarinet parts, and wanted to make that connection, but no go.

   So overall I guess I'm lukewarm on this symphony? There were things I liked, but it just felt like it wasn't saying very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment